It’s very frustrating to even go through one sleepless night because you end up so tired the next morning that you may be disoriented and unable to function as you should. However, if you suffer from sleep loss on a regular basis, you may have insomnia. (Generally speaking, this is not a diagnosis.)
At times your body needs a little help to go to sleep and one of the most popular, melatonin is a natural way to end sleeplessness. Hormonal changes, heart disease, depression and sleep apnea can all cause sleeplessness and insomnia. Check with your doctor.
If you’re having trouble sleeping and you want to try natural ways to help you get to sleep.
Melatonin, One of the Popular Natural Ways To End Sleeplessness
Melatonin is actually a hormone produced naturally in the body. The brain makes serotonin which is then made into melatonin, which helps you fall asleep naturally. If your body isn’t producing enough melatonin, you may need to take a supplement before retiring each evening.
How does melatonin work?
Melatonin supplements can help you fall asleep by increasing the levels of this hormone in your body. It works by binding to receptors in your brain that help regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
By increasing the levels of melatonin in your body, you can make it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. This can lead to improved sleep quality and quantity, which can have a number of benefits for your health.
If my body naturally produces melatonin, why would I need to take the supplement?
There are several reasons why you might need to take a melatonin supplement, even if your body already produces this hormone.
For example, your body may not produce enough melatonin, or the melatonin it does produce may not be effective. Melatonin supplements can help increase the levels of this hormone in your body and make it easier to fall asleep.
Melatonin supplements thought to be more effective than over-the-counter sleep aids
Melatonin supplements are thought to be more effective than over-the-counter sleep aids for several reasons.
- First, melatonin is a hormone that is naturally produced by your body. This means that it is more likely to be effective than other sleep aids, which may contain synthetic ingredients.
- Second, melatonin supplements can help increase the levels of this hormone in your body. This can make it easier for you to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Finally, melatonin supplements are generally safe and have few side effects. This is in contrast to some over-the-counter sleep aids, which may have more potential side effects.
Taking melatonin can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. It can also help reduce jet lag and improve sleep quality for people who work night shifts. If you have trouble sleeping, melatonin may be a good option for you.
What is the dosage for melatonin?
The recommended dosage of melatonin varies depending on the person. The average adult dose is between 1 and 3 mg per night.
Children and infants may need a lower dose. It’s important to talk to your doctor before giving melatonin to a child.
Melatonin supplements are generally safe and have few side effects. The most common side effects are headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If you experience any of these side effects, you should stop taking the supplement and talk to your doctor.
Other Natural Ways to End Sleeplessness
- Meditation – Yoga practices of deep breathing and meditation before you go to bed have proven beneficial to help sufferers of insomnia fall asleep naturally.
- Aromatherapy – The sedative qualities of inhaling lavender, ylang ylang and chamomile are found to be useful in treating insomnia.
- Valerian – Non-addictive Valerian has been used for years as a remedy for insomnia. It has qualities that are believed to affect the brain’s calming neurotransmitters.
- Diet – Avoid caffeine and foods containing sugar before bed time. Instead, eat foods rich in magnesium such as green vegetables, bran and some nuts (almonds and cashews) that will calm nerves and help promote sleep.
- Exercise – Regular aerobic exercise such as a brisk walk can help you sleep well at night. Avoid exercising just before bedtime though – exercise earlier in the day or evening.
Your mattress and pillow can make a difference in your sleep as well. Make sure they are appropriate for your body type. The room you sleep in is neither too hot nor cold but be of a comfortable temperature with the covers you prefer to sleep under. If sleeplessness persists, you may want to try acupuncture and calming teas such as chamomile and lemon balm.
Melatonin can be taken in pill form or as a liquid. It’s generally safe for most people to take, but there are a few potential side effects. These include headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should talk to your doctor before taking melatonin.
Some prescription drugs may cause insomnia, so check with your health professional or pharmacist to see if any prescription(s) you take cause this debilitating side effect.
What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle. It’s produced naturally by your body, but you can also take it in supplement form.
How does Melatonin work?
Taking melatonin can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. It can also help reduce jet lag and improve sleep quality for people who work night shifts.
What are the benefits of Melatonin?
The benefits of Melatonin include helping you fall asleep faster, sleep more soundly, reduce jet lag, and improve sleep quality.
What are the side effects of Melatonin?
The side effects of Melatonin include headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should talk to your doctor before taking Melatonin.
Is Melatonin safe?
Melatonin is generally safe for most people to take, but there are a few potential side effects. These include headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should talk to your doctor before taking Melatonin.
How do I take Melatonin?
Melatonin can be taken in pill form or as a liquid. Be sure, when you take it, that you are completely ready to go to sleep, staying relaxed, and within 15 – 20 minutes you’ll fall asleep. If you aren’t ready for that, and you delay in any way, it may not work at all. At least that’s my experience with it!